JOB TITLE: Machine Operator
JOB LOCATION: Gloucester
HOURS: Multiple shifts available 24/7 or 24/5 (22% - 36.7% shift allowance depending of shift)
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx. Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace’.
The role is based in Gloucester, home to the production of the country’s beloved ice-creams such as Magnum and Wall’s!
The Machine Operator is responsible for the safe operation of production equipment to deliver customer requirements through completion of the production plan, adhering to quality standards and maximising cost effectiveness, optimal running and equipment efficiency. She/he is expected to carry out Autonomous Maintenance such as Cleaning Lubrication and inspection activities and record any issues/problems with the equipment to pass to the Technical Operator to resolve. The Machine Operator should master the operation of a series of machines in order to provide factory resilience.
- Technical - Knowledge and application of technical skills to Operate machinery safely and effectively to meet the production plan. Conduct cleaning and lubrication as required.
- Possesses a basic knowledge of the principals of mechanism, motion and pneumatics.
- Work to and maintain cleaning and checking standards of machinery responsible for.
- Understands properties of materials being handled; performs correct adjustment and setting.
- Proactively works with Professional Maintenance and Quality Control staff to achieve zero breakdowns and zero defects.
- Carry out product and process changeovers/wash-outs to maintain quality standards whilst minimising the impact to the production plan.
- Safety – Working knowledge of the workplace and the hazards within it. Utilise appropriate safety and environmental procedures relating to the Sourcing Unit and allocated equipment to ensure a safe working environment for the whole team.
- Workplace Hazards - Full knowledge of workplace and hazards within it. Utilise appropriate safety and environmental procedures for people, processes, materials, products and equipment relevant to the tasks in your area.
- Environment - Reduce costs due to waste and minimise impact to health, safety and the environment through working to eliminate waste and through the correct management of waste and hazardous materials.
- Quality - Monitors quality against set standards and reports any product and packaging faults. Detects process abnormalities quickly and takes emergency action to prevent them.
- Continuous Improvement – Knowledge and understanding of the key principles of WCM and an awareness of the tools used to identify and prioritise losses in the production area and eliminate them; role requires data collection. Monitor measures and performance after initial improvements and take further action as required.
- Problem Solving – A Working Knowledge of how to identify, prioritise and address problems using appropriate tools and techniques that eliminate recurrence. Must demonstrate initiative.
- Teamwork – Must be a good team player capable of working within a highly effective team; responsible, supportive and able communicator.
- Physical Ability – Machine Operators require a level of agility to move quickly between workstations, ascend and descend steps often carrying loads. Assembly and control operations also require a level of hand eye coordination and
ALL ABOUT YOU
- National qualifications in Reading and Comprehension, Writing and Mathematics. This will support recording of data, analysis of machine performance and general teamwork skills with an emphasis on good communication.
- Basic mechanical awareness of the principles for factory automation.
- Can maintain focus and discipline for the task whilst demonstrating good problem solving skills to protect output targets.
- IT Skills – Competent in the use of Machine data and control systems that record Material Movement, Losses and Quality. Must also be competent in the use of Microsoft Office; Excel and Word programmes.
PREFERRED / DESIRABLE:
- Experience as a Machine Operator.
- Experience of manufacturing in a Fast Moving Consumer Goods Company.
- Demonstrate strong mechanical aptitude to progress onto the Unilever Technical Operator Curriculum (Entry, Developing and Full level).
Diversity at Unilever is about inclusion, embracing differences, creating possibilities and growing together for better business performance. We embrace diversity in our workforce. This means giving full and fair consideration to all applicants and continuing development of all employees regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us