Unilever International (UI) is an alternative but complimentary route to market, servicing white space opportunities not exploited by local operating countries. It is a global business unit with 6 hubs (Singapore, India, US, UK, France and Dubai) with a diverse range of products, with expertise in utilising 3rd party distributors and consolidators to reach consumers in over 75 countries. Unilever international is independent but fully integrated with clusters.
This role is based in France but will oversee exports business covering the breadth of the globe. The UI hub manages two distinct business areas, the export of Maille Globally, and the Exports of European produced products into Africa. The Role will support one of these business operations and offer financial business support to the Unit Director, Sales, marketing and supply chain teams. The business has seen rapid growth over the years and The business is likely to see rapid growth through organic and white space activities, and is managed by a cross functional business team, that has dedicated resources in Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, Demand Planning and Finance.
The purpose of this role is to provide finance/ commercial business partnering to the business team in the areas of performance management, CD finance, Supply chain finance and Risk and controls. The role is one of the few roles especially as WL1 where you will be looking after full P+L and looking after all aspects of financial performance from Pricing decisions, Gross margin improvement, BMI budgets, forecasting etc. This role will also be involved in evaluating new business opportunities and liaison with other MSOs and the UI global HQ based in Singapore. Unilever international is embarking on a process where we try to give P+L credit to the markets we export into, which offers good experience with the interaction of the finance teams in these markets.
The role offers a fantastic opportunity for the right person to demonstrate ownership of the full P&L, develop all round finance and business acumen, and would allow an ambitious and successful candidate to progress further within the organisation and within their career.
A suitable candidate would have several years of varied Finance experience and ideally be working towards a professional qualification.
Responsibilities, Accountabilities, Consultation and Information
Accounting & Reporting:
- Month end reporting, communicating insight and analysis to the UI UKI team, UI France and the wider business including MSOs and PMU stakeholders
- Review in month performance vs forecast, highlighting gaps and recommending corrective action
- Implement UI finance policies and governance framework (pricing/claims control, credit control...)
- Holding local finance office accountable for delivering operational processes (pricing, invoicing, debt collection etc) on time in full
- Ensuring “P+L credited businesses” are reported properly and timely
- Responsible for the integrity of respective balance sheets.
- Act as finance business partner to the heads of the Business units and their teams
- Ensuring that pricing is within the Unilever International strategic framework across all portfolios.
- Help CD and Marketing Maximise Return on Investment;
- Develop business cases to evaluate new business opportunities required to maximise growth potential of the channel. Challenging assumptions and highlighting risks and opportunities.
- Build relationships with European Supply chain (UEBV) to understand the cost base within the UI P&L, including forecasting future cost movements and understanding implications on pricing.
- Develop close working relationship with UAPL ( Singapore )Finance Team and Global Finance teams
- Financial results delivery of the UI business vs. Prior year and submitted forecast.
- Year on year sales growth and gross margin enhancement.
- A rigorous and accurate 12 month rolling financial forecast.
- Integrity of the balance sheet
- Improvement in operational effectiveness measures (bill to cash, purchase to pay).
- Overheads – Budget management.
- TTS/BMI – Budget management and funding approval process (UAPL MAP process)
- Simplification of existing processes to focus on Effective Business Partnering
- Working Capital management in conjunction with credit control
- Monthly financial forecast.
- Business performance reviews with Singapore
- Local Team performance meetings
- New business evaluation (new markets, new products, new distributors…)
- Acquisition or disposal of country markets.
- Review of operational effectiveness.
- To manage full P+L performance and manage complex P+L credit process
- Global networking and partnering
- Expanding the overall financial and commercial awareness of the teams and sharing best practice across all UI hubs and functions
- Develop good end to end understanding of business process and systems
- Category and brand plans.
- Weekly sales performance.
- Full P+L.
- Stock planning and obsoletes management.
- Consumer and market information.
Key Skills Required
- Complex data analysis and manipulation
- Preparing business results analysis and reviewing commentaries
- Commercial support and decision support (including preparing business cases)
- Team working and interpersonal skills
- Intermediate/Advanced Microsoft Office skills,
Standards of Leadership required
- Business Acumen
- Passion for High Performance
- Purpose & Service
Key Experience and Qualifications Required
- Industry experience in commercial roles
- Working in cross functional teams
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Business Partnering
- Finance Qualification
- Experience of using SAP
- UI France business head and business development managers
- UI European Finance Manager
- France FET Teams
- Support resources in European Supply chain and other functions
- UI Global Finance in Singapore
- ETS & I&A
- Country MSO who are receiving P+L Credits
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us