Be part of the world’s most successful, purpose-led business. Work with brands that are well-loved around the world, that strive to improve the lives of our consumers and the communities around us every day. Every day, nine out of ten Indian households use our products to feel good, look good and get more out of life – giving us a unique opportunity to build a brighter future. We promote innovation, big and small, to make our business win and grow; and we believe in business as a force for good. Our brilliant business leaders and colleagues provide mentorship and inspiration, so you can be at your best.
At HUL, we believe that every individual irrespective of their race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, nationality, caste, disability or marital status can bring their purpose to life. So apply to us, to unleash your curiosity, challenge ideas and disrupt processes; use your energy to make the world a better place. As you work to make a real impact on the business and the world, we’ll work to help you become a better you!
We are looking to hire an Assistant Manager - Naturals Formulation and Phytochemistry based in Mumbai
REQUIREMENT FOR NEW ROLE
Unilever is market leader in Skin Cleansing category with over ~ €6 Bn turnover and has been growing well over several years. Naturals & Ayurveda is a huge opportunity and single biggest opportunity for X-BPC India. It is an ingrained system of thinking and not a trend in India, which is evident from the fact that Naturals and Ayurveda contribute to 42% i.e., 2.7 bn Euros of the Indian BPC (Beauty & Personal Care) market. As more and more people seek to go back to the roots and shun “chemicals” this part of the market is expected to grow even more exponentially.
- This position is part of new Functional Naturals & Ayurveda COE within Skin Cleansing Category
- Candidate will be responsible for supporting and assisting setting up the Functional Naturals & Ayurveda COE and Ecosystem across the Mumbai and Bangalore R&D Centres and linking up to global programs.
- The purpose of this COE to be the epicenter of unmatched FUNCTIONAL NATURALS & AYURVEDA expertise, crafting products that deliver on their promise and inspire trust based on their foundation of deep science that amplifies NATURE.
- The responsibilities also include assisting globally the Innovations on the following brands: Ayush, Indulekha (non-hair), Vedayush and Hamam
- This includes close working with external partners and working with internal Unilever.
Deliverables of work:
- Assisting in developing of fully integrated Functional Naturals & Ayurveda program with functionality at its core and an integrated platform approach for cross BPC benefits. Key focus areas for this role include:
- Proven Efficacy from Natural Functional Actives (Actives + Boosted)
- Ecosystem for Functional Natural & Ayurvedic Actives Sourced Using Regenerate
Principles and Formulations with Natural/Clean Chassis
- Assist in building ecosystem of partners who will bring in expertise, manufacturing capability and advocacy for the HUL Naturals program.
- Assist delivering consumer and clinically superior mixes on Ayush, Indulekha (non-hair), Hamam and Vedayush globally.
- Ensure compliance to Internal Unilever protocols, External regulatory environment while developing product solutions with respect to commitment to safety, environment, specification management etc.
- Support work on understanding competitor formulation strategy globally and develop insights for us to derive competitive advantages
- Experience in formulation development Experience on close partnership with S&T and landing new technologies on naturals in market
- Sound knowledge on naturals and phytochemistry with solid experience on Naturals
- Good exposure to external advocacy pool on Ayurveda and naturals and proven ability to leverage relationships on the same.
- Experience in leading single/multi-country projects across BPC categories
- Understanding of Natural/Ayurveda led BPC trends, benefits, ingredients, claims, and strategy
- Digital Transformation skills both in ways of working and creating digital systems for accelerating speed and impact to market
- Support Capability Leader in formulation design work for innovations initiatives to deliver functional natural superior and consumer winning products OTIF
- Interactions with key suppliers for capability, partnership & open innovation initiatives
- Responsible to deliver Technical Transfer via PLM for the sourcing and supply chain, per agreed quality standards
- Support for product launch and roll-out, and the continuous improvement of products as per the agreed timelines
- Develop technical expertise in relevant sciences and technologies (BPC), supported by recognised achievements and publications
- Build and maintain strong networks with cross functional (Brand, CMI, SC etc) and R&D Cluster teams
- Responsible for lab, pilot & MPT batches and Line managing and guiding junior WL1s and pilot plant staff
- Ensure compliance to Internal Unilever protocols with respect to safety, environment, claims, specification management, etc.
- Support the formulation simplification for the brand to deliver the simplification objectives and drive margin improvement.
- Support the formulation simplification agenda as required
- Lead the new RM and alternate RM approval process working closely with suppliers and internal supply management teams
- Good knowledge of Functional Natural, Phytochemistry. Chemistry, basic understanding of new product design and processing of personal care products would be an added advantage.
- Basic understanding of IPR / Agreement process for projects involving exchange of confidential information.
- Ability to work independently with cross functional partners and external parties to lead the project work.
- Working knowledge of rheological assessment of personal care products.
- Basic understanding of the claims challenge and substantiation process.
- Basic understanding of statistical tools and complex data analysis.
- Basic understanding of sustainability.
- Excellent Project management skills with timelines and quality at the heart.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to influence leaders in the organization
- Must be able to work well under pressure and manage conflict effectively
- Significant understanding of the consumer business (FMCG model) preferred
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal, team working and influencing skills
- Strong communication & presentation skills
- Business awareness & Influencing Skills.
- Performance bias - Focuses effort and prioritizes work to deliver exceptional business value
- Business awareness- Demonstrates understanding of internal and external customer needs and exceeds expectations.
- Influencing people- Inspires others to contribute and uses a range of influencing styles
- Wise decisions- Progresses issues even if only partial information is available; manages appropriate risks and manages the implications of actions.
- The job will involve working with R&D Manager, Directors, Brand managers, Marketing Director, External partners to build ecosystem, other members of the design/technology team and the larger R&D team (including Deploy Team Leader), External Partners and Academics and consultants
- R&D Directors and VPs
- Brand managers, Marketing Director
- External design agency
- Other members of the design/technology team and the larger R&D team (including Deploy Team Leader)
- Supply chain team members, SC director
- External Partners (Raw Material Suppliers, Universities and Clinical CRO)
- Academics and consultants
This role is responsible for supporting OTIF (on time in full) delivery of all innovation projects, roll out and capability building for Functional Natural & Ayurvedic for BPC category.
Educational qualifications, experience & skills
Bachelor and Master of Chemistry, B. Pharma/M. Pharma, Doctoral degree, B.SC Tech with a Post Graduate Degree in Naturals will be best suit for the job.
Should have approximately 7 to 8 years of total work experience, preferably in S&T, design of Beauty and Personal care natural products. Design experience in a company engaged in the manufacture of Natural / Ayurvedic products).
The candidate should have excellent leadership skills, project and people management skills, communication skills, and should be able to seamlessly interface with cross-functional team members from Marketing, and Commercial etc.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us