Job Description Template – Tea Business
Job Title: Head of Tea Procurement – SEAA & NA
Work Location: Vietnam
Job Type: Fulltime
Travel required : 20% or limited travel. Now limited due to CV19 restrictions
About the Tea Business
Unilever is proud of its tea business, the biggest in the world, with world class purpose driven brands such as Lipton, PG tips and Pukka. Recently, Unilever decided to separate the Tea business to ensure it can best achieve its potential and renamed it to ekaterra to facilitate its separation to a standalone entity. eka stands for unity and one purpose while terra stands for earth and nature. As ekaterra we are united in one purpose: growing a world of wellbeing through the regenerative power of plants.
Unilever is reviewing several options for the separation, including a demerger, an initial public offering, a disposal or through partnership models. Unilever will retain the tea businesses in India, Nepal and Indonesia, and the partnership interests in the ready-to-drink Tea joint ventures.
Present in more than 100 countries, ekaterra generated revenues of €2 billion in 2019. With 13 production factories in 4 continents and tea growing estates in 3 countries, ekaterra is a profitable and growing business offering a world of wellbeing with the regenerative power of plants to hundreds of millions of consumers. As a standalone entity, ekaterra is even better positioned to lead the industry with dedicated focus driving greater growth and value.
Combining the strength and scale of its global iconic brands with speed and agility, ekaterra is brewing a ‘corporate start-up’ mindset that’s opening up new opportunities to flourish every day – both for its business and its people.
At ekaterra, we work alongside people who put consumer love at the heart of every decision. Diverse minds who celebrate new ideas, share our values and the commitment we have for the wellbeing of all. In return, we create an environment that gives our people space and freedom, where they can grow as leaders. A connected community where ideas can thrive. Where you explore new challenges. Learning all you need to master your field, and even more about yourself.
Be part of this amazing blend. Join our collective and help us grow a better world of wellbeing and a better you
- Lead a team of Tea buyers and blenders covering, North Asia, South East Asia, A&Z
- Deliver Blend on quality, cost and on time
- Support the business on pricing insights and competitor insights
- Drive efficiency in Tea buying in Indonesia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan and China
- Lead the team for correct tasting and classification of Teas and categorization as per Tea Lingo for auction and non auction channels
- Forecast Key Market prices and trends.
- Support on strategic stocking decisions.
- Delivery as per OP including forecasting of blend prices
- Procurement KPI’s such as Material Cost % TO, Savings, NMI
- Supply Chain KPI’s of OTIF, blend quality as per standard, Days on Hand
- Build Tea skills and capabilities in the region TBO
Additionally, to link with the Global Tea network in providing all demand requirements for raw tea in the region working with the APS and SAP Supply systems.
Your key tasks:
- Lead the team in weekly correct tasting and classification of Teas in auction and non auction channels.
- Forecast Tea prices on weekly basis.
- Drive buying efficiency
- Executing the buying plan on a weekly basis in auctions and non auctions
- Entering into Long and Short term contracts
- Spot buying of Tea
- Meeting OTIF targets for shipping from North Asia and South East Asia
- Delivering on procurement KPIs in cost, quality and service
- Providing competition insights
- Providing crop estimates accurately
- Develop New supply markets in the region
- Weekly blend issuance OTIF and on spec (PBBS)
- Inbound tea delivery tasting and updation in SAP
- Provide full Country and Cluster input into all R&D black and Green Tea development projects within the region connecting with the Tea Expertise manager in R&D
- Support and own with R&D all PBBS and ensure they updated in SAP/APS on and in full.
- Support Blend Demand requirements enabling 98.5% Customer Service delivery against the forecast.
- Manage cross functional relationships within in the Category Supply Chain, Marketing and R&D functions, in the CCBT
- Fully manage Tea Tasting Saleroom to ensure full tasting programme is carried out
- Lead discussions with Co-ordination and agree buying solution proposed APS.
- Update and maintain SLA for all Tea Production factories.
- Propose, agree and deliver stock norms
- Own and ensure all master data for Tea specific SAP and APS systems is updated on time and in full.
Stakeholder Management and key interfaces:
- Tea buying teams of other regions
- Tea Blending teams
- Tea Planning Team
- Procurement Leadership Team
- Inbound Logistics
- Procurement Finance Teams
- SC Finance Teams
- Category Finance Teams
North Asia and SE Asia CCBT
- 3 PM
- 3rd Party Service Providers
- Auction Brokers
- Trade Bodies
Skills and Experience:
- University degree ( preferably in business or agriculture)
- Fully Operational Tea Taster at least 8-10 years with below requirements
- Can assess and evaluate in detail tea samples at differing brew strengths eg consumer strength, technical strength
- Acts as a lead taster in their space/team.
- Is engaged in the ongoing development of GTP/Tealingo
- Classifies tea samples into Tealingo items as a matter of course
- Scores above the minimum pass mark in an unguided taste test on average over a 1-year period
- Blending Skills with below requirements
- Evaluates the new blends as per Tasting Room SOP to pass/fail vs a blend specification or standard
- Evaluates blends on both physical, visual and sensory parameters
- Understands and exploits the interaction between different tea types to achieve a blend end result
- Understands and exploits the interaction between base blend and additives such as aroma/flavour (choice, dosage etc)
- Can construct a blend in a live system in accordance with a prescribed recipe and/or specification
- Can make the necessary changes to a blend if it has not passed the evaluation to ensure it meets the specification
- Procurement skills including financial acumen
Who we are looking for:
- 5 to 10 years of relevant experience including:
- Min of 3 to 5 years Relevant procurement experience in international environment in Strategic Sourcing and Tea Business
- Relevant supply market knowledge of Tea Market
- Experience in supply and portfolio strategy development
- Experience in working in a virtual team and regional/global scope
- Experience in leading a team and people management
- Experience in change management projects
Kindly share you updated CV to Quy Nguyen Talent Advisor via email:
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us