Job Description | Data Driven Marketing (DDM) Engagement Specialist
Digital is changing everything about how consumer goods companies go to market. At Unilever we were at the front of the media revolutions in print advertising in the 1890s, in radio in the 1930s and in TV in the 1960s. Now we intend to be at the front of the digital revolution. At the heart of our response to this Digital Revolution are our DIGITAL HUBS – where our marketers come to work with a range of specialists to deliver data-driven marketing at scale.
Data Driven Marketing at Unilever does not mean creating niche, highly-targeted activities. Rather, it is the delivery of mass personalised communications, using multiple messages to increase relevance and impact amongst various sub-segments. It is founded on each market having a clear data strategy, with each brand having a clear audience segmentation strategy, and these being used to inform the creation of programmatic media campaigns with highly relevant and effective creative assets. Activities will be key drivers of data acquisition and eCommerce growth, while also re-invigorating brands’ equity. Over time this will lead to an increased emphasis on performance marketing and may -in some cases – lead to one-to-one marketing.
DIGITAL HUBS bring together a range of internal and external specialists, covering People Data Centre (PDC) – People Relationship Marketing and data analytics, media planning and programmatic buying, e-Commerce, social media and social listening, Community management, as well as asset creation via our own U-Studio as well as ad agencies and other content partners. We need people with passion for digital and analytics, who are not afraid to break convention and want to be a revolutionary within our business.
About the role
The DDM Engagement Specialist is the champion of the use of personalised communications to drive better reach and engagement across Unilever’s brands and categories. The change will be the interface between two key departments of the CMI Organization and the local market teams and ensure the support: Social Business Analytics (SBA) / People Relationship Marketing (PRM or CRM for external world) in the PDC and the business (either at a Global Category level or within their assigned Market / Cluster). As a key part of the global People Data Capability Centre, this role exists to drive service and process improvement across the network. The ideal candidate will be results-focused, plugged into the world of consumer engagement, and have a strong experience and understanding of the value of using CRM to drive increased reach and engagement. In many markets the SBA specialist role is already existent, in these cases the PRM responsibilities are added to the existent responsibilities.
- Primary Responsibilities
- Within the market, the DDM Engagement Specialist champions the roadmap, adoption and engagement in the roll out of PRM capabilities, which include the Unilever Cloud solutions that enable Data Driven Marketing
- Works with brands to define digital marketing campaign briefs
- In the local markets, supports brand / market PRM roadmap development from PRM Managers and helps shape the overall PRM strategy globally
- Advises on data driven marketing best practice in market and proactively publishes knowledge share updates as part of the global PRM Community meetings, including repeatable toolkits
- Builds and champions innovation & case studies to unlock / demonstrate the business value of PRM
- Responsible for quarterly presentation of the value/ROI delivered from deployed PRM programmes in markets
- Locally responsible for the solutions provided by the global SBA and PRM teams, liaison to senior management in market
- Be the local SBA / PRM product owner and receive all new briefs, feature and capability requests, which need to be challenged and specified before they’re shared with the PRM team
- Tracks all local requests from the DDM Dynamic Audience Specialist, DDM Measurement & 1:1 Optimisation Specialist and Digital Hub Lead concerning the PRM applications
- Proactively manages the pipeline of work and demand by collecting, evaluating and passing along incoming briefs to PDC/SBA/PRM
- Secondary Responsibilities
- Appraise gaps in the current SBA/PRM support model / information and decide whether these new services and/or documentation should be introduced
- Stay up-to-date on industry & market best practices, and continually feed new thinking back into the business in regard to personalisation
- Maintain a view of demand across all brands / categories / clusters & flags when resource availability may become a challenge
- Review competitor and non-sector relationship driving programmes to use to inspire brands to increase investment in engagement
- Develop training guides and webcasts to education business about CRM, working with Digital 2.0 and Connected World training team. Ensuring all information is published on the Unilever Digital Hub.
- Reports into global Line Management of SBA managers and PRM managers
- The job holder will work regularly with peers and senior stakeholders in the business to ensure that they embrace the PDC and understand their benefits (Primarily Brand & CMI directors)
- Primary delivery responsibility to both global divisions & assigned regional (market / cluster) brand teams
- The job holder will work with PDC Delivery Managers & Analysts to understand how current processes work, whether there are any current workarounds, and how these can be improved
- Working with Capability Centre Lead on opportunities and prioritisation
Skills and Experience
- Primary Traits (required)
- Ambassador of data driven marketing
- Has 5+ years of experience in Digital Marketing
- Knowledge of Digital Marketing campaigns
- Deep understanding of the digital ecosystem (including social media &) and its strategic move at global and local levels
- Strong analytical skills and appreciation of coding languages, data sources, data matching and data acquisition
- An excellent communicator with senior stakeholders, peers and reports (conversational and presentational)
- Proven project management skills, particularly around assessing priorities and managing workloads
- Experienced in working in an Agile environment and working in scrum / squad teams
- Excellent listening skills and the ability to understand and articulate customer needs in business and more technical vocabulary
- Experience managing relationships within a large, multinational, matrix organisation
- Experience working as or with marketing stakeholders/agencies and an understanding of their likely challenges and information requirements
- Experience planning & delivering CRM campaigns (Email / SMS marketing / Media)
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Marketing Cloud suite (or similar) as bonus but not prerequisite
- Secondary Traits (‘nice to have’)
- Diplomatic, transparent and persuasive.
- Project management experience, particularly around managing delivery or implementation
- Experience executing personalised communications & tracking the impact of different personalisation techniques to drive business value
- Experience co-ordinating the introduction of a new internal service or capability at a major organisation.
- Passion for the social & digital world and its implications for business
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us