Job Title: R&D Sr Consumer Insights Researcher - ekaterra, Unilever’s Tea Division
WorkLocation: Englewood Cliffs, NJ
Job Type: Full Time
Travelrequired: Limited travel
Unilever is proud of its tea business, the biggest in the world, with world class purpose driven brands such as Lipton, PG tips and Pukka. Recently, Unilever decided to separate the Tea business to ensure it can best achieve its potential and renamed it to ekaterra to facilitate its separation to a standalone entity. eka stands for unity and one purpose while terra stands for earth and nature. As ekaterra we are united in one purpose: growing a world of wellbeing through the regenerative power of plants.
Unilever is reviewing several options for separation, including a demerger, an initial public offering, a disposal or through partnership models. Unilever will retain the tea businesses in India, Nepal and Indonesia, and the partnership interests in the ready-to-drink Tea joint ventures.
Present in more than 100 countries, ekaterra generated revenues of €2 billion in 2019. With 13 production factories in 4 continents and tea growing estates in 3 countries, ekaterra is a profitable and growing business offering a world of wellbeing with the regenerative power of plants to hundreds of millions of consumers. As a standalone entity, ekaterra is even better positioned to lead the industry with dedicated focus driving greater growth and value.
Combining the strength and scale of its global iconic brands with speed and agility, ekaterra is brewing a ‘corporate start-up’ mindset that’s opening up new opportunities to flourish every day – both for its business and its people.
At ekaterra, we work alongside people who put consumer love at the heart of every decision. Diverse minds who celebrate new ideas, share our values and the commitment we have for the wellbeing of all. In return, we create an environment that gives our people space and freedom, where they can grow as leaders. A connected community where ideas can thrive. Where you explore new challenges. Learning all you need to master your field, and even more about yourself.
Be part of this amazing blend. Join our collective and help us grow a better world of wellbeing and a better you.
The qualities we look for in you:
ekaterra is made up of a special blend of individuals which make our teams exciting and diverse. To be part of our blend we are looking for individuals who think Green and are environmentally conscious, who understand the power of simplicity and who are accountable for their actions. We want those who infuse mastery and passion in everything they do to create great products and unforgettable experiences for our consumers.
What's in it for you?
We believe that growth is for everyone, we believe in growing leaders and making space to grow an owner’s mentality and like nature we adapt, we change, and we grow. We believe in connections over hierarchies and (work)levels. We have a 'corporate start-up' approach; we act with speed and agility, and we have the strength and scale of a large corporation. We are building a better world of wellbeing and a better you.
As a Senior Consumer Insights Researcher, you will partner with our R&D team in Americas (North America & LATAM). The role provides an exciting opportunity for someone who is passionate about identifying opportunities to meet consumer needs in better ways that drive profitable growth.
If you have the vision and creativity to shape impactful consumer and sensory research, the ability to translate insights into opportunities for exceptional product experiences and compelling claims and stories, together with a strong bias for action – this is the role for you.
Unilever and our Tea business are fairly unique in having consumer insight researchers dedicated to R&D. Internally, we refer to this capability as CTI (Consumer Technical Insights). Researchers dedicated to the Marketing function are part of our CMI (Consumer Market Insights) capability. There is a strong partnership between CMI & CTI, and the two capabilities work seamlessly.
Working within multi-functional project teams to shape and execute consumer/sensory research, draw out key learnings, and make clear, actionable recommendations for R&D and project teams.
- Partnering seamlessly with CMI to create integrated consumer research plans aligned with business objectives and stakeholder risk appetite.
- Together with CMI, ensuring the consumer experience ambition is rooted in strong insight.
- Coupling consumer insight with deep knowledge of our brands’ purposes to ensure our product experiences are true to our brand DNA, purposes and visions.
- Guiding early stage product/pack development (for multi-channels), and being a champion for “holistic brand design“ within R&D.
- Playing an active role in crafting consumer & customer compelling stories/claims to drive impactful in-market execution, and ensuring robust consumer and/or sensory evidence is in place to substantiate claims where relevant.
Business Strategy Development & Planning
Identifying fresh opportunities to meet consumer needs in better ways - driving profitable growth. Proactively contributing to the development of consumer led innovation strategy and roadmaps and supporting R&D capability development programs.
- Evaluating the competitive performance of our existing in-market products on an ongoing basis.
- Together with CMI, tracking consumer and market trends, and translating insights into impactful foresight.
- Sourcing and integrating consumer & sensory insights (qualitative & quantatative) from multiple sources. Mining and blending data for key insights, and translating these into business relevant and actionable growth opportunities for the future.
- Shaping proposals for new strategic consumer/sensory researches to identify innovation/renovation opportunities, securing buy-in for these with stakeholders, and delivering impactful and actionable insights (e.g. how consumers are preparing and consuming our products, category perceptions, drivers of compelling claims, sensory landscaping).
Consumer Voice & Brand Knowledge
- Shaping and championing the R&D Consumer Connect program for the region to ensure the consumers’ voice lies at the heart of everything we do in R&D.
CTI Capability Development
- Keeping abreast of latest external developments (academic & MR industry) in consumer and sensory research approaches and to provide optimal research solutions for business partners. Experimenting with new disruptive techniques, sharing learnings across the Tea Co. CTI community, and contributing to the development of best practice guidelines for our CTI toolbox.
- Having full knowledge of professional codes of conduct (ethics, data protection laws etc.) and ensuring that all our research practices adhere strictly to these.
- Partnering the Americas R&D Director to define and align on key priorities for researches. Ensuring resources (time & cash) are focused behind priorities. Regularly reviewing priorities, and dynamically adapting plans if business needs change.
Who we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required with a concentration in Human Sciences (e.g. Psychology, Sociology) strongly preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in an FMCG consumer insights role, either agency or client side.
- Fully operational in consumer and sensory research techniques (qual and quant) used for NPD.
- Experience within Food or Beverages categories is required.
- A passion for NPD (New Product Development) and understanding of science & technology.
- Curiosity coupled with analytical thinking to identify patterns across multiple sources of data, distil insights and translate these into business opportunities.
- Creative and entrepreneurial thinking to support the development of new ideas.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics by federal, state, or local law. For more information, please seeEqual Employment Opportunity Posters
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
If you are an individual with a disability in need of assistance at any time during our recruitment process, please contact us at NA.Accommodations@unilever.com. Please note: This email is reserved for individuals with disabilities in need of assistance and is not a means of inquiry about positions or application statuses.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us