Background & Purpose of the Job
The Omnichannel Digital Lead, Grocery is responsible for embedding eCommerce business operations into the way we manage customer development at all Grocery Customers, and rapidly growing Unilever’s omnichannel turnover and share.
She/he will collaborate with the team members from Pureplay, Global eCommerce, Marketing and Shopper Teams to develop an informed point of view on what is needed to drive eCommerce growth at all grocery customers/models, with an overt focus on click and collect and delivery modalities. The Omnichannel Digital Lead will engage with the Customer Development (CD) team and customer contacts responsible for digital business to understand the main barriers to Unilever’s growth on all grocery digital platforms, and the key jobs-to-be-done to drive commercial results for Unilever. In partnership with key CD team members, she/he will determine the retailer-specific goals, areas of opportunity, joint-business-plan items and solutions, and work across the Grocery team to execute and drive results. The Omnichannel Digital Lead must understand the most effective drivers of consumer engagement, conversion, and repeat on all platforms, and help the team and the customer to apply the right assortment, content, marketing and operational support across all categories to drive disproportionate growth for Unilever. She/he will drive accountability for Turnover, Market Share and Perfect Store Online metrics within the Grocery team. She/he needs to be an eCommerce expert who can navigate both Unilever and the customer organization effectively to accelerate digitally originated sales in the grocery sector. The Omnichannel Digital Lead will become the “go-to” expert on the team for omnichannel eCommerce strategy and execution, and a key digital talent for the future.
What you’ll do:
- Develop Strategy:
- Create omnichannel growth strategies and operational plans for multiple customers
- Identify opportunities to help our key retailer customers grow their eCommerce businesses by leveraging our portfolio, our insights into the shopper path to purchase and our eCommerce learnings and best practices across other customers and markets
- Develop the Plan:
- Partner with the Consumer Market Insights field business partner to understand eCommerce insights at and commercialize them with the customer
- Work with Shopper Marketing on fully integrated customer plans to capture share of the evolving shopper
- Pragmatically identify opportunities to accelerate omnichannel sales in-year by leveraging our portfolio, insights into the shopper path to purchase and our eCommerce learnings and best practices across other customers and markets
- Be an Operator:
- Own customer relationships with all key digital/eCommerce retailer contacts and meet on regular basis to devise and execute customer plans for digitally originated sales
- Identify and evaluate content, in-stock, assortment and other opportunities through regular Walk the Store Online (weekly), routine analytics on digital sales data and competitive benchmarking review (digesting Kantar retailer rankings)
- Deliver eCommerce Turnover, Share and Perfect Store Online goals by establishing eCommerce fundamentals, prioritizing opportunities for quick growth, and operating the business in partnership with other Customer Business Managers (e.g., ensuring retailer complies with Unilever content guidelines, improving customer’s in-stock performance, handling retailer.com assortment reviews, and examining search performance, etc.)
- Ensure that eCommerce point-of-sale data is secured in alignment with eCommerce channel reporting requirements
- Apply key eCommerce best practices around content, traffic, conversion in conjunction with core CD practices such as holistic customer investment management, forecasting, promotions, and analytics
- Be a Change Agent: Help the grocery team pivot faster to the high-growth eCommerce channel by creating and embedding business processes to support omnichannel CD. You will partner closely with cross-functionals to shift the organizational mindset to embrace and excel at omnichannel business management.
- Develop Capabilities: In this key role you will be responsible for developing Omnichannel Playbooks and customer development best practices (e.g., eCommerce assortment strategy, click and collect management, delivery modality expansion) in partnership with the CD Learning, Global and Local Omnichannel teams. You will engage with customers on a weekly basis and help those Customer Business Managers drive eCommerce growth, while holding at-scale enablement sessions for the rest of the customers on a quarterly basis. You will need find the right balance of providing coaching and holding CD counterparts accountable for driving eCommerce metrics. You will lead the learning agenda for eCommerce skills and capabilities across the grocery sector.
- Develop Talent: You will be directly or indirectly responsible for the development of internal talent, and the recruitment of the right external talent to further build out Unilever’s omnichannel talent bench. You will need to provide the right level of coaching, particularly in the area of core eCommerce functional skills such as multi-format assortment strategy, economic modeling, data- and metrics- driven decision-making, cross-functional problem-solving, attribution, etc. You will be instrumental in helping Unilever upskill and upgrade its customer development workforce to drive omnichannel growth.
- Invent, Simplify and Scale: Identify process or organizational problems that slow down the team and the channel pivot, and use your business knowledge and problem-solving skills to put scalable solutions in place to help the team make progress.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- At least 8-10 years of experience in consumer packaged goods or retail industry, including roles in sales or customer development
- Working knowledge of eCommerce retail basics, traffic and conversion drivers, search, the consumer’s path to purchase journey and omnichannel retailer models
- Experience interfacing with the customer and owning commercial goals
- Heavy analytical and data-driven decision-making experience
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers with Purpose | World Class Career Development Programs | Check Out Our Space | Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For more information, please see Equal Employment Opportunity Posters
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
If you are an individual with a disability in need of assistance at any time during our recruitment process, please contact us at NA.Accommodations@unilever.com. Please note: This email is reserved for individuals with disabilities in need of assistance and is not a means of inquiry about positions or application statuses.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us