Be part of the world’s most successful, purpose-led business. Work with brands that are well-loved around the world, that strive to improve the lives of our consumers and the communities around us every day. Every day, nine out of ten Indian households use our products to feel good, look good and get more out of life – giving us a unique opportunity to build a brighter future. We promote innovation, big and small, to make our business win and grow; and we believe in business as a force for good. Our brilliant business leaders and colleagues provide mentorship and inspiration, so you can be at your best.
At HUL, we believe that every individual irrespective of their race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, nationality, caste, disability or marital status can bring their purpose to life. So apply to us, to unleash your curiosity, challenge ideas and disrupt processes; use your energy to make the world a better place. As you work to make a real impact on the business and the world, we’ll work to help you become a better you!
We are looking to hire an Asst. Packaging Development Manager – PCR Flexibles based in Mumbai
In January 2017, we committed to increase the recycled plastic content (PCR) in our packaging to at least 25% by 2025. We want to use far more PCR plastic in the future and recapture our own packaging. As a result, each Unilever Category has developed an ambitious strategy for to drive PCR in packaging, yet the need to do this even faster and better while minimising risk, has never been more important.
Unilever has established a Central Packaging Capability organisation charged with defining and driving the technology and capabilities for Flexibles Materials across HBPC to ensure Unilever is leading this space in the short, medium and Longer term.
If you have a passion for technology, environment, building big strategic partnerships and you want to make a real difference in a highly consumer relevant space then this could be of interest to you.
MAIN JOB PURPOSE
The role is based within the HBPC Flexible Packaging Team and will involve the identification and application development of Post-Consumer Recycled resin for Flexibles Packaging in HBPC. The output will form a critical part of the business ambition to drive the strategy on “Better Plastics”.
- Explore different PCR sources and develop application into HBPC flexible primary and secondary packaging.
- You will need to engage with external suppliers (academia, startups, global suppliers) and the internal partners (R&D Categories, Procurement, Supply Chain) to help build the technology programme.
- Manage and support PCR based flexibles packaging projects with different scopes and complexity levels.
- Support laboratory testing of PCR based films and laminate.
- Attend and contribute to technical meetings. Communicate with cluster, country and x-category colleagues to receive inputs, provide project updates and share information.
- Work with large confidential data sets and have the ability to analyse and draw insights.
- Ensure new technologies are sufficiently validated through appropriate testing protocols, developing new ones if necessary. The ability to interpret and act on results to draw the right conclusions, create reports and make recommendations to the business will be vital.
- Effectively communicate with multiple functions and external parties to ensure relevant activities adhere to network timings and that all risks are identified and managed.
- Be aware of opportunities to create and protect intellectual property and set up confidentiality agreements where required.
- Play an active role in contributing to the Unilever Packaging Strategy.
- To connect with and help to support the wider HBPC capability agenda in the area of alternate Asia based supplier development for paper and polymers.
- To maintain and grow the skills level in PCR through development of training and best practice guidelines. To provide training to wider packaging team in the area of flexibles PCR application development.s
KEY JOB FACTORS
Bias for action – Highly effective: Result driven person, focusing on final goal and result, allowing the projects to speed up. Growth Mindset – Highly effective: You should have passion to win, willing to work out of your comfort zone. Seeking and delivering on new opportunities should energize you. Positive and motivated by technical challenges. Flexible with change of scenarios. Creativity – out of box thinking on how to translate category needs to technical requirements and connect the technologies. Interpersonal skills - Highly effective: you will need to interact effectively and build up network across HBPC categories and functions
The job holder should have:
Engineering or Science degree (e.g. chemical, materials, packaging);Minimum 5 years project management experience across different scopes and complexity levels.Excellent communication skills and the ability to manage different stakeholders – internal and externalWorking knowledge in plastic packaging conversion techniques (Blown Film Extrusion, Lamination and FFS.) and plastic materials (e.g. PP and PE)Working knowledge in laboratory analysis for packaging validations for films and laminates.Knowledge/experience in the Home, Beauty and Personal Care portfolio (packaging and brands) is an advantage.Knowledge/experience with PCR and/or recycling technology is an advantage
There is a need to collect, collate and store large amounts of sensitive and confidential packaging information. The information can be complex - it usually contains data with multiple variables per data source. The job holder would be required to carry out statistical analysis of data as well as make recommendations for solutions. Information will be used to influence stakeholder decision making. So a good knowledge of Excel and/or equivalent IT tools to help with analysis and communication will be essential.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR RESOURCES
A requirement for the job holder to be to monitor the condition of lab equipment and contribute to issuing SOP’s and training information and help raise BIC and capex to help deliver the programme.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR STAFF
The job holder may be asked to support new starts/students/contractors of the safe working of laboratory equipment.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR FINANCE
The job holder has responsibility for supporting project managers with ensuring placement of orders with vendors for packaging components.
The job holder will be required to work for the majority of their time in office and laboratory conditions. This will require to follow the appropriate laboratory methods and safety requirements for the operation of equipment.
FREEDOM OF ACTION
The work content is mostly unsupervised. The job holder would mainly work as part of a team and will report to a senior packaging manager. Aspects of the work program would be fully delegated to the job holder allowing independence to plan work and take decisions affecting their work program.
The job holder would be expected to keep senior packaging managers and peers within their work area informed of decision making and changes. Senior managers would be expected to act in a mentoring capacity for this roles.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us