Job Title: Biotechnologist
Location: Port Sunlight
Last year, our Home Care business publicly announced its new Clean Future strategy https://www.unilever.com/brands/home-care/clean-future.html, which will see elimination of all non-renewable carbon from our products and the adoption of fully biodegradable ingredients by 2030. This is a core role in our Home Care Science & Technology group which will contribute biotechnology expertise to new technology development to address this Clean Future challenge.
You will join a multi-disciplinary team of researchers responsible for translating biological insights into new ingredients and winning innovations supporting Unilever’s Homecare product portfolio.
- Apply a range of biochemistry, molecular biology, biotechnology and microbiology methods to develop, characterise and test new functional materials and interventions.
- Use a range of software tools to manage, analyse and visualise data to generate and communicate new insights.
- Recommend and implement new techniques and capabilities to accelerate innovations, aligned to business needs.
- You will work on a variety of technology innovation projects including collaborative business to business and science to business projects.
- You will be expected to keep at the forefront of the latest academic advances to continuously develop our science skill base and capabilities.
All About You
- A PhD in Biotechnology or related discipline. Alternatively, you may have a BSc or MSc and substantial (3 years minimum ) relevant experience.
- You will be an independent scientist who can generate hypotheses and apply critical thinking to experimental design and data analysis and generate new insights.
- Substantial experience in a range of the following techniques:
- Molecular biology: cloning, sequencing, sequence analysis, qPCR
- Protein expression, characterisation, purification and separation techniques
- Fermentation for protein and chemical production
- Biocatalysis for the synthesis of new materials
- Microbiology: antimicrobial assays, biofilms, microbiomics
- Analytical methods including spectrophotometry, HPLC, GC and related hyphenated techniques for charcterisation, detection and quantification of products
- Data analytics: bioinformatics, design of experiment and statistics
- You will be able to demonstrate strengths in the following key skills and competencies:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills required to compile written reports and to share experimental findings as presentations
- You will be a strong team player with experience of working in multidisciplinary teams and able to demonstrate the ability to work with team members virtually as well as face to face
- You will be a creative thinker, able to overcome obstacles and find solutions to technical challenges
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us