Background & Purpose of the Job
Customer Operations Procurement operates as a Power of One framework on a global level to leverage the scale and buying power of Unilever. The Logistics Procurement team for North America operates as part of Customer Operations Procurement to support the key markets of United States and the associated capabilities and services that are required for the distribution networks. This role will have a specific focus on the procurement for transportation services as part of the dedicated fleets that operate in North America, with annual spend of more than $30M and management of two key strategic suppliers.
This role will create value via a Total Cost of Ownership model while aligning to the Unilever Procurement strategies and North American Transportation Strategy, balancing the cost savings and inflation mitigation expected of a procurement professional with the service expectations of the operations team as a key stakeholder. It will be responsible for developing, maintaining, and growing supplier relationships management programs that address commercial and operational expectations of the dedicated fleets. Additionally, this role will liaison with external consultants who support management of the dedicated fleets and develop capabilities to conduct similar activities in Unilever for cost modeling and capacity utilization optimization.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
This role has direct buying responsibility for Transportation activities including:
Following the standard 7-step strategic procurement process from strategy alignment and market scans to conducting Request for Proposals and contract negotiations to business approval, contract signing, and operational implementation when required for dedicated fleet contact cycles. Maintain market intelligence to forecast future cost structures with internal stakeholders in Logistics and Finance and maintain awareness of carrier partners’ financial trajectory. Identify disruptive emerging technologies to create capacity or innovation that can be embedded within dedicated fleets, such as autonomous trucking, paperless BOLs, API integration, welcome center enhancements, sustainable technology, alternative fuels, etc. Collaborate internally within the procurement, operations, and externally with the dedicated fleets to align on most optimal use of capacity, highest utilization, serviced lane priorities, and count of the drivers, tractors, and trailers contracted for Unilever. Drive continuous improvement projects and provide high level updates to senior stakeholders on forecasted savings, risks, and mitigation strategies. Collaborate with global stakeholders, consultants, dedicated fleets, and other shipping companies to identify opportunities to reduce empty miles through joint buying opportunities for the fleets contracted to Unilever. Maintain productive relationships with external 3PL dedicated fleet partners, organizing strategic business reviews and joint business development plans with Strategic carriers. Support negotiations of annual pricing refresh and multi-year contracts using negotiation tactics, trading of key variables, and deep market knowledge of Should Cost models. Contribute the ongoing development and implementation of the North America Sustainability Roadmap to decarbonize Unilever’s carbon emissions by 2039 through investments that can be made through dedicated fleets. Supervise the freight payment process for dedicated fleets to standardize the external inputs, validation process with freight payment provider, and management of exceptions to invoices for prompt payment to external suppliers.
What You’ll Need To Succeed
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university, preferably in Logistics or Supply Chain.
- 4+ of prior logistics and/or procurement experience, preferably managing carrier dedicated fleets.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced business environment, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability by managing numerous priorities concurrently; organizational and time-management abilities.
- Advanced technical skills with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams, and PowerBi.
- A strong command of the English language with excellent oral and written communication skills are necessary to effectively interact with all levels of management.
- Strong analytical aptitude with a validated ability to analyze/interpret data, with an emphasis on transportation cost modeling.
- Proven abilities in stakeholder management, with an emphasis on listening and influencing.
- Experience working with enterprise level logistics systems and Transportation Management Systems.
- Experience negotiating cost variables with transportation providers leading to successful outcomes.
- Knowledge of cost modeling for transportation companies in the US and specific cost drivers for dedicated fleets.
- Operational experience managing dedicated fleets through monitoring key performance KPIs.
- Experience conducting optimization models for dedicated fleet to determine the right number of drivers, tractors, and trailers that should be contracted for right mix of cost, capacity, service, and sustainability.
- ASCM/APICS certification in CLTD or CSCP
- CSCMP SCPro certification
- Formal negotiation training or experience
- SAP, Oracle TMS, Jaggaer contracting, experience are preferred
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Unilever: Life | LinkedIn | Strategy | Unilever | Why work for Unilever | Careers at Unilever |Unilever Global Website | Check Out Our Space
Pay: The pay range for this position is $83,200 to $124,700. Unilever takes into consideration a wide range of factors that are utilized in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience and training, licensure and certifications, qualifications and education, and other business and organizational needs.
Bonus: This position is bonus eligible.
Long-Term Incentive (LTI): This position is LTI eligible.
Benefits: Unilever employees are eligible to participate in our benefits plan. Should the employee choose to participate, they can choose from a range of benefits to include, but is not limited to, health insurance (including prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage), retirement savings benefits, life insurance and disability benefits, parental leave, sick leave, paid vacation and holidays, as well as access to numerous voluntary benefits. Any coverages for health insurance and retirement benefits will be in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans and associated governing plan documents.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
If you are an individual with a disability in need of assistance at any time during our recruitment process, please contact us at NA.Accommodations@unilever.com. Please note: This email is reserved for individuals with disabilities in need of assistance and is not a means of inquiry about positions or application statuses.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us