Location: USA: Trumbull, CT or Englewood Cliffs, NJ
Travel: Regular travel between Trumbull and Englewood Cliffs, Occasional travel outside USA.
Direct reports: 1-2
Background & Purpose of the Job
As part of the Personal Care Research and Development (PC R&D) team, you will define and lead the short and long-term regulatory strategic direction for PC North America, ensuring alignment with Corporate, PC Business Group (PC BG) and North American Business Unit (BU) strategy and priorities.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
The Personal Care Regulatory Affairs (PC RA) Lead for R&D North America with specific responsibilities for USA. The successful candidate will have the following key responsibilities aligned to the Personal Care R&D strategic agenda and priorities:
- Defines the PC North America regulatory strategy to land the PC Innovation program.
- Identifies opportunities to develop regulatory compliant impactful claims which deliver superior products and market growth.
- Defines the regulatory strategy to deliver superior products and claims in new spaces such as sustainability and packaging.
- Works seamlessly with 1 Unilever Canadian RA to deliver Canadian PC innovation agenda.
- Leads and co-ordinates regulatory input into PC R&D North America innovation projects.
- Ensures that the regulatory strategy and priorities for innovation and advocacy are aligned.
- Ensures regulatory assessments are completed to land compliant products in the marketplace.
- Is an expert in legislation affecting Personal Care products (OTC & cosmetic) in North America and specifically USA.
- Anticipates regulatory change and impact to the PC North American business.
- Influences applicable Regulatory Authorities, as required at state and national level.
- Monitors the external environment particularly in key areas impacting the North American PC BU such as ingredient management, claims, labelling, sustainability, and packaging.
- Drives for change in regulation or establishing new/model regulations (e.g., proactively influence to expand the innovation space) jointly with key representatives from Regulatory Affairs, External Affairs, & Legal.
- Defends Unilever positions directly or through trade associations in the face of new regulations or amendment in regulations in USA.
- Defines and agrees opportunities to support local advocacy priorities in Canada.
- Defines the PC RA advocacy program and priorities for North America
- Delivery advocacy priorities with key business partners and cross-BG/1Unilever RA colleagues.
- Identify advocacy opportunities and solutions to deliver key business results.
- Inputs into PC RA global and cross-BGs RA advocacy strategies.
- Develops and maintains excellent interfaces with internal and external relevant partners.
- Strengthen/build networks as required (with regulators and relevant Key Opinion Formers / stakeholders).
- Represents Unilever with external bodies (Trade Associations, Alliances, regulatory authorities, Key influences etc.)
- Drives Unilever agenda in relevant Trade Associations.
- Business partners with multi-functional issue team to address emerging regulatory issues that can impact PC North America business.
- Regulatory input into Issue management topics affecting North America
- Raises awareness of regulatory issues and potential impact to the North America Business (e.g., State legislative developments) to key stakeholders and functions (e.g., RA, SEAC, Legal, External Affairs, Supply Chain, Comms, Customer Development etc.).
- Where appropriate, may be asked to take Issue Leader role (External Affairs owns process).
- Provides both strategic and operational regulatory leadership in the area of ingredients of concern for North America
- Responsible for maintaining and communication of the North America issue matrix and ingredients of concern funnel.
- Provides & delivers regulatory solutions to minimize impact for the North America PC product portfolio.
- Contributes to Global R&D RA network, communicating information on issues, issue management, and regulatory news within R&D and other functions.
- Develops regulatory talent and drive flexible agile and efficient collaborations cross BG and within North America as appropriate.
- Ensures PC related regulatory training is delivered on relevant scientific areas, legislation, and human/environmental safety within both the wider PC RA team, and especially within the R&D, Brand, Supply Chain and Customer Development.
What you’ll need to succeed:
Minimum BSc, preferably an M.S. or PhD in Chemistry, Pharmacy, Biological Science, Toxicology, Environmental Science or equivalent.
- 10+ years of experience within an FMCG environment with expertise in North American regulatory requirements that govern cosmetics, personal care, and OTC industry.
- Proven track record in active collaboration with R&D and non-R&D functions as well as 3rd parties in support of the innovation program.
- Proven record in interacting with, and influencing regulatory authorities, NGOs, and other key stakeholders.
- Pro-active self-direction with a high level of initiative and persistence and a very much hands-on approach to results delivery
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to assess regulatory risks and opportunities and the impact it has on the existing and innovation portfolio
- Ability to apply argumentation in order to influence at all levels externally and internally
Expertise in regulation & legislation
Product regulatory knowledge
Expertise in regulatory development
Regulatory issue management
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For more information, please seeEqual Employment Opportunity Posters
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
If you are an individual with a disability in need of assistance at any time during our recruitment process, please contact us at NA.Accommodations@unilever.com. Please note: This email is reserved for individuals with disabilities in need of assistance and is not a means of inquiry about positions or application statuses.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us