Background & Purpose of the Job
At Unilever, we are committed to a Vision of ZERO, Zero Fatalities, Zero Injuries, Zero Process Safety incidents, Zero environmental incidents, Zero motor vehicle accidents and Zero tolerance for unsafe behaviors and conditions. Through authentic leadership, we build an interdependent safety culture that protects the well-being of our employees, our visitors, our contractors, our environment, and our assets while delivering sustainable growth. As the site Process Safety and Environmental Specialist, your role will be to influence significant sustainable improvement in Safety, Process Safety, and Environmental performance by building a knowledgeable and engaged team.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do?
The Site Process Safety and Environmental Specialist reports to the Safety, Health, and Environment (SHE) manager and supports manufacturing and non-manufacturing activities to improve overall, SHE performance. They work with the site Supply Chain teams to develop SHE improvement plans in alignment with global and cluster SHE strategy to achieve sustainable SHE excellence by reducing incidents, injuries, illnesses, and environmental impact as measured in the Core KPI’s.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the Unilever PSM program, become certified as the site Process Safety Competent Person and support deployment of the 20 elements of Unilever PSM program.
- Responsible for building, implementing, organizing, and facilitating the usage of the site Process Safety information system for the Ammonia and Combustible Dust system as required by the Unilever SHE PSM Program Manual.
- Initiate and lead monthly PSM committee meetings involving managers and team members including, but not limited to the Factory Director, Maintenance Manager, Safety Manager, Refrigeration team members and appropriate production management personnel.
- Responsibilities include written and verbal communications with ammonia refrigeration operators, facility management, Corporate SHE, Corporate Engineering Services and others as required to further develop the improvement of the PSM Programs.
- Ensure PSM activities are communicated including PSM committee meeting minutes, refrigeration projects, facilitate management of change processes of applicable projects.
- Lead the site Environmental and Sustainability agenda by serving as the Environmental Pillar champion in the Unilever manufacturing system.
- Reduce environmental impacts in the areas of water and energy consumption, hazardous and non-hazardous waste, SOX &CO2 emissions, and COD.
- Develop an understanding of Unilever Safety and Environmental program and lead deployment in all areas of the site.
- Monitor legal compliance and ensure the site meets all local/national regulatory requirements and Unilever standards.
- Develop site reports for TRI, TIER II, EIQ, WWTP PCR
- Tracking the status of compliance audits, mechanical integrity hazard analyses, incident investigation and other SHE generated action items and recommendations as well as keeping SHE manager and facility management aware of compliance status.
- Influence senior management and drive safety and environmental leadership through line management.
- Determine training needs and assist in delivery of training programs.
You’re a born leader: People are drawn to the passion and care you show and act to fulfill the vision to keep people safe.
You love to win and have fun doing it: You are purpose driven and celebrate the team in the successes that are created.
You’re a teacher: Team knowledge creates the improvement, and you are integral in the facilitation of education.
You’re a culture & change champion: Influencing people at all levels will create the behaviors necessary create improvements.
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- University degree is preferred with an emphasis in Engineering or Safety program administration preferred.
- Must have experience with spreadsheets and be able to learn basic Microsoft Office Software; Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and developing templates for use by other employees, publications, or promotional materials.
- Documented experience in operation and maintenance of PSM Covered Combustible Dust and / or Refrigeration Systems preferred.
- Must successfully complete Ammonia Operator I, II within two years of taking the position
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Need to understand priorities and make appropriate calls to SHE and Engineering Services
- Must have the ability to handle sensitive information with confidence and discretion; participate in OSHA and EPA audits and be capable of handling professional communication during audits
- Strong organizational skills; understanding priorities and making appropriate calls to Safety Health and Environmental Services
- Excellent knowledge of OSHA, EPA, SHE standards essential
- Good knowledge of manufacturing and Process Safety
- Good observation and auditing skills
- Proven track record of leading and influencing individuals and teams
- Proven track record of analytical thinking and project management
- 2-5 years of SHE experiences preferred
- Prior Unilever experience preferred
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers with Purpose | World Class Career Development Programs | Check Out Our Space | Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For more information, please seeEqual Employment Opportunity Posters
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
If you are an individual with a disability in need of assistance at any time during our recruitment process, please contact us at NA.Accommodations@unilever.com. Please note: This email is reserved for individuals with disabilities in need of assistance and is not a means of inquiry about positions or application statuses.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us