Trademark Paralegal - Part Time (3 days a week)
SALARY: Competitive + Benefits
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx. Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace”
The role is based in our Global Head Office in Blackfriars. Located in the heart of London, our office is home to a restaurant, a deli bar, a gym and a medical centre. You could be enjoying your lunch on our beautiful rooftop terrace in the summer our letting off some steam in a personal training session! You can also find a subsidised shop offering a selection of our Unilever products.
We protect the business and enable it to win - success to us means striking this balance for the benefit of Unilever. Our Legal team supervises the many legal matters a company of our scale is faced with. This includes taking out patents for our innovations, drafting partnership agreements, managing data privacy and dealing with marketing claims. From business integrity to innovative patents, from partnership agreements to celebrity marketing contracts - everything that happens at Unilever happens because of the impactful business partnering and counsel provided by our Legal team - a winning team for business growth that makes a positive impact in the world.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a team of experienced Brand IP counsels, working alongside some of the world’s best known and loved brands. You will be involved in all aspects of trade mark portfolio management, from clearance, prosecution and maintenance, to contentious matters such as lookalikes and infringements. You will be part of a team that uses cutting edge technology to deliver best in class in the IP industry.
This role would provide support to some of the Brand IP counsels within the Beauty & Personal Care division as well as providing support on trade mark operational matters and would be based in Unilever’s London office.
For the candidate with the right level of experience, we anticipate that the person will have the opportunity to work independently and to own their own case load, liaising as necessary with Brand IP counsels for relevant supervision.
You will be involved in all team meetings and will be expected to drive projects for the Brand IP team. Good communication skills, flexibility and the ability to support business partners across different geographies and time zones is essential.
A commitment to performing essential trade mark and operational administration work is also key given the nature of trade mark portfolio management. The role would include at times working cooperatively with other legal divisional members.
All aspects of trade mark clearances, prosecution and maintenance (under varying levels of supervision) including:
- Prepare TM search instructions to our outsourced TM partner, chase and monitor replies, provide initial analysis.
- Conduct Google and TM database searches associated with any relevant scan searches using the technology tools available and provide initial analysis.
- Provide Brand IP Counsels/business partners with a top line summary report on the availability and registrability of trade marks.
- Direct liaison with the business on search results and next steps (at the discretion of the lawyer/Brand IP counsel)
- Prepare TM application instructions, review and prepare responses to TM application/ prosecution enquiries (e.g. specification queries, use dates)
- Assist with issues raised in trade mark clearance such as instructing investigators and negotiating with third parties including concluding agreements, obtaining consents, purchasing marks, cancellation or revocation of marks, etc.
- Provide Brand IP Counsels with opposition recommendations following review of watching data provided through our watching platform.
- Preparation of TM oppositions and related evidence, instructing outsourced TM partner case manager where necessary.
- Liaise with local legal teams and outsourced TM partner to collate and research evidence of use of TMs for countries requiring such evidence for renewals, including co-ordination of the USA verification of use requirements.
- Prepare TM schedules from outsourced TM partner managed database, as required
- Manage permission requests from third parties to use Unilever’s intellectual property and prepare permission letters for such requests.
- Create and set up conflict database entries for new contentious TM issues, produce reports and analyses of TM infringements and litigation.
- Review product packs to ensure proper TM use in comparative claims
- Assist with TM audit/gap filling and strategy analyses for the businesses
- Other general support tasks for the team.
Trade Mark Operational Support matters:
- Provide support on key supplier (i.e. trade marks, domain names, watching and screening) contracts and relationships
- Provide support on Brand IP key operational priorities
- Provide support to drive efficiencies in existing operational processes across all suppliers
ALL ABOUT YOU
- Part-qualified trademark attorney or equivalent experience
- Proven experience/qualification in trademark administration matters (eg CITMA Paralegal Qualification)
- Proven track record in trademark prosecution work and excellent knowledge of filing systems under WIPO, EUTM and Madrid
- Interest in developing and/or experience in-house in FMCG
- Ability to communicate clearly verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to prioritise and work for a number of different people concurrently in different geographic locations/time zones
- Adaptable, proactive, keen to learn and take on an increasingly varied and challenging workload as skills develop.
- Good logic and analytical skills, and attention to detail
- Self-motivation to achieve excellence in administrative type matters as well as other matters
- Pragmatic, commercial and keen to learn and immerse yourself into the business of Unilever
- Team player, able to build fruitful relationships
- Ability to issue spot other types of legal issues e.g. regulatory, marketing claims and coordinating input from global business partners, such as marketing colleagues, local Legal, R&D and Regulatory Affairs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and common TM search platforms
- A passion for intellectual property!
WHAT WE OFFER
Not only do we offer a competitive salary, but also our pension scheme, an annual bonus, a free gym, a staff shop and shares. You’ll get the opportunity to work directly with our renowned and exciting brands in a flexible and agile environment. We strive to achieve a family-friendly culture and to, above all, create possibilities for all.
Diversity at Unilever is about inclusion, embracing differences, creating possibilities and growing together for better business performance. We embrace diversity in our workforce. This means giving full and fair consideration to all applicants and continuing development of all employees regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.
Please note: As part of the job application, you will be asked to complete a brief online application form. Completion of the form is required in order to be considered. Please allow yourself enough time to complete the application form as when filled out partially or not at all it may adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the form at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
For further information about this position please call: 0800 0284390. Please do not contact this number if you are an agency/third party. This number is strictly for candidates only.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us