The SOLA Security Manager (Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru, Paraguay, Uruguay, Venezuela, Colombia) reports to the LATAM Security Director for the region security function. This is an operational country role responsible for implementing proactive and reactive security control measures that support the Business needs. They are to align security implementation with Group Security standards and procedures, and are to ensure local measures are commensurate to risk and opportunity. Working with the Business to assess levels of risk and opportunity, the SOLA Security Manager will identify and coordinate resources needed to support the security plan, utilizing inhouse and external expertise. The SOLA Security Manager will produce a country security plan to coordinate activities across the security pillars (Physical Security, Personal Security, and the Security Network (Training and Awareness)). The successful candidate will have to ensure they can manage programs and systems designed to protect employees and assets. They will ensure security risks are identified and managed at the appropriate level and will monitor and review existing practice to ensure it remains relevant and value adding. They will ensure security awareness programmes are in place and that 3P providers are properly trained and aligned with unilever ways of working. The work will cover Protecting People, Protecting Assets, Conducting Investigations, Intelligence Issues and Program Management. .
Background / Context / Scope:
Unilever is a Global Consumers Company. Worldwide 170 billion Unilever products are sold each year. Since Unilever was established in the 1890s, brands with a social mission have been at the core of our business, and now corporate responsibility underpins the Unilever strategy. Unilever believe that as a business they have a responsibility to our consumers and to the communities in which we have a presence. Around the world Unilever invest in local economies and develop people’s skills inside and outside of Unilever. And through Unilever business and brands, they run a range of programmes to promote hygiene, nutrition, empowerment and environmental awareness.
Unilever Group Security's goal is to provide the business with a security function that supports and enables our growth agenda and daily business operations. This will be achieved through the implementation of a security network which will deliver local security solutions aligned to Group Security standards, procedures and guidance. The mission is to safeguard the reputation of the Company by ensuring we have appropriate procedures and controls in place to support the needs of our Business. By doing this we will safeguard the wellbeing of our consumers, customers and employees, enable future opportunities and ensure our essential services and commercial interests are not compromised. Put simply: To promote and protect Unilever everyday, everywhere. Unilever is a relatively low risk company however they operate in high risk areas.
The SOLA Security Manager is responsible for providing leadership and developing a coordinated security approach across the applicable countries constantly reviewing operational security risk:
- Be the trusted advisor to the country leadership and the point of contact for all security related matters
- High level of awareness on security matters and an understanding of different levels of risk and threat
- Develop a security road map with specific objectives and timelines for delivery. Review security architecture and ensure that existing controls are adequate, effective and aligned to achieve management objectives
- Analyze existing and emerging threats to people, assets, information and brand; design security architecture to combat these threats in accordance with the legal, statutory, regulatory, contractual and business requirements, industry best practices and technological and environmental trends.
- Design / review security architecture and ensure that existing controls are fit for purpose, effective and aligned to achieve management objectives.
- Drive the implementation of effective and cost-efficient security solutions to Unilever premises
- Create a Security 'eco-system' by liaison with external intelligence, law enforcement, specialist physical security third party companies, special interest groups and professional bodies to assist with effective implementation of physical security solutions across the Group and to ensure effective incident management
- Ensure that sufficient resources are available to effectively implement the security plan
- Manage security vendors, and facilitate optimal delivery by them
- Liaise and co-ordinate with and support other functions having impact on security like HR (background verification); PR (Conceptualize and implement psychological operations and civic action activities which provide indirect depth to the security of the various locations); Logistics (Cargo theft reduction).
- Management oversight of Protective Intelligence. (Oversee intelligence collection efforts designed to help Unilever avoid the disruptive effects of crime, terrorism, etc)
- Preparing high quality reports including; country security incident reporting, intelligence briefing, threats assessments and investigative reports
- Overseeing the budget and expenditures of the above areas of responsibility (TBA)
- Contributing to the global response to crises and other significant events
- Be responsible for Executive and Event Protection
- Initiating counter terrorism / extremism measures including the production of a structured suite of countermeasures that can be implemented within Unilever sites and can be scaled up and down according to the risk.
- Ensure security training and awareness sessions for security staff, vendors / third parties and employees.
- Represent Unilever at industry forums and participate as a member of industry organizations. Provide and share information related to industry benchmarking and activities with global and regional security leadership.
Key Relationships and Direct Reports:
Reports to: Latam Security Director
Direct Reports: The whole security team whether within Unilever or 3rd Party in the appropriate countries
Key relationships: Regional business leaders. Regular contact with senior officials in police and government security organisations within the region. Continual engagement and liaison within Group Security for support and guidance.
Experience / Competencies / Capabilities:
- Have prior experience to oversee responsibility of security design, disseminate and ensure implementation of enterprise level security procedures at all locations
- Competencies in ensuring robust measures within site security, including access control, protection of assets and ensuring security inspection criteria are met
- Proven track record of exercising due diligence in selection of security service providers (private security agencies and security hardware and software vendors) and incorporate stringent enforceable quality requirements and service standards in the Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Coordinate effective functioning of security agencies and processes by ensuring compliance to SLA clauses. Conduct quarterly meetings with the security service provider(s) to discuss performance of security personnel and other SLA related issues
- Establishing a reporting format for assessing compliance with policy. Receive and analyze monthly and incident based reports from various locations and monitor progress on corrective actions / remedial measures.
- Conduct security audits (internal as well as external) to test / validate ‘sufficiency’ and ‘effectiveness’ of existing controls (people, processes and technology) to address existing and emerging risks. Initiate and monitor corrective actions. Ensure all audit points within scope are closed prior to their deadline
- Assist and support Unilever team in investigation of security incidents including frauds. (Carry out independently, if need be)
- Travel security – maintain situational update of high-risk countries / states / cities and advise and guide employees on business travel
- Establish a physical security Risk Assessment standard for new Unilever locations or on significant refurbishment, utilization or occupancy change etc. of existing locations based on threat levels
- Tracking physical security risks and escalating excessive risk issues for consideration to Unilever Country Leaders and Group security
- Ensuring implementation of incident management framework – reporting, closure, feedback and incorporating lessons identified
Key responsibilities / Functionality / Selection Criteria:
- Strong experience of corporate security and operation in a supply chain / consumer environment
- Direct personal experience in working successfully in hostile environments or under difficult operational circumstances if applicable
- Excellent team-working skills and experience.
- Strong knowledge of corporate security system design, implementation and operation.
- Clear understanding of security threats and control measures relating to people, processes, technology and mechanical systems
- Competent in investigative process and relevant global legislation / regulatory aspects
- Management experience
- Wide industry knowledge of corporate security and business risk management measures
- Ability to demonstrate a track record of delivering a central role across a range of functions, including senior stakeholder management and customer satisfaction
- Ability to demonstrate a track record in leading, motivating and developing a cross-functional team;
- Strong knowledge of security systems principals
- Delivering high quality, forward looking briefing papers and threat assessments, and other reports as required
- Flexibility on travel
Personal and Leadership Capabilities:
- The ability to lead / coordinate/ motivate security personnel
- A sense of personal accountability
- An ability to form internal and external relationships
- An ability to influence and to create enthusiasm and a sense of urgency
- Excellent written/oral communication skills (English)
- Well developed interpersonal skills & communication skills
- Strong motivation skills. Must have the energy and enthusiasm to be an agent of change.
- Honesty and integrity
- Sound knowledge of security systems, technologies and applications
- Ability to analyse, evaluate and deal with complex and sudden crises
- Wide industry knowledge of the country security role and sound awareness of business risk management measures
- Proven track record in security role or similar risk role
- Highly commendable credentials and references
- Ability to meet all vetting / visa requirements
- Experience in providing security solutions
- Ability to work under own initiative, making decisions to benefit Unilever
- Ability to work autonomously
- Ability to work under pressure
- A good knowledge of commercial business sense
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us