Every Day, Around the World, People Reach for Unilever Products. Our Brands Are Trusted Everywhere And, By Listening to The People Who Buy Them, We've Grown into One of The World's Most Successful Consumer Goods Companies. In Fact, 150 million Times A Day, Someone Somewhere Chooses a Unilever Product.
Look in Your Fridge, Or on The Bathroom Shelf, And You’re Bound to See One of Our Well-Known Brands. We Create, Market and Distribute the Products That People Choose to Feed Their Families and Keep Themselves and Their Homes Clean and Fresh.
Our Corporate Strategy Aims to Double the Size of Our Business While Reducing Our Impact on The Environment By 2020. As A Result, In the Months and Years to Come, We Envisage Many Opportunities for Our Staff to Progress and Gain Vital Experience. It’s Never Been Such an Exciting Time to Join the Unilever Team
The range of Machine Operator roles varies between categories and technologies, but generally sits within the Filling, Forklift and Material Transfer, Mixer, Packing, Reporting, Shaping and Water Machinery Job Families.
The Machine Operator is responsible for the safe operation of production equipment to deliver customer requirements through completion of the production plan, adhering to quality standards and maximising cost effectiveness, optimal running and equipment efficiency.
She/he is expected to carry out cleaning and inspection activities and record any issues/problems with the equipment to pass to the Technical Operator to resolve. The Machine Operator should master the operation of a series of machines in order to provide factory resilience.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Technical - Knowledge and application of technical skills to Operate machinery safely and effectively in order to meet the production plan. Conduct cleaning and lubrication as required.
- Possess a basic knowledge of the principles of mechanism, motion and pneumatics.
- Maintain machinery to the prescribed standards and levels of cleanliness.
- Understand properties of materials being handled. Able to perform correct adjustment and setting.
- Proactively work with Professional Maintenance and Quality Control staff to achieve zero breakdowns and zero defects.
- Carry out product and process changeovers/wash-outs to maintain quality standards whilst minimising the impact to the production plan.
- Safety –Utilise all appropriate safety and environmental procedures relating to the Sourcing Unit and allocated equipment to ensure a safe working environment for the whole team. Understand the legal responsibility placed upon individuals.
- Workplace Hazards - Full knowledge of the workplace and hazards within it. Utilise all appropriate safety and environmental procedures for people, processes, materials, products and equipment relevant to the task.
- Environment - Reduce costs due to waste and minimise impact to health, safety and the environment through working to eliminate waste and through the correct management of waste and hazardous materials.
- Quality - Monitors quality against set standards and reports any product and packaging faults. Detects process abnormalities quickly and takes emergency action to prevent them.
- Continuous Improvement – Knowledge and understanding of the key principles of WCM and an awareness of the tools used to identify and prioritize losses in the production area and eliminate them; role requires data collection. Monitor measures and performance after initial improvements and take further action as required.
- Problem Solving – A Working Knowledge of how to identify, prioritize and address problems using appropriate tools and techniques that eliminate recurrence. Must demonstrate initiative.
- Decision Making - Can make decisions to reject non-compliant products and to support the work plan for the day.
- Teamwork – Must be a good team player capable of working within a highly effective team; responsible, supportive, and able communicator.
- Administration - Conducts effective hand-over activities and records accurately events that have occurred during shift (cases packed/ rejects/maintenance conducted etc).
- Physical Ability – Machine Operators require a level of agility to move quickly between workstations, ascend and descend steps. Assembly and control operations also require a level of hand eye coordination and finger dexterity.
National school leaver qualifications in Reading and Comprehension, Writing and Mathematics. This will support recording of data, analysis of machine performance and general teamwork skills with an emphasis on good communication.
- Basic mechanical awareness of the principles for factory automation.
- Can maintain focus and discipline for the task whilst demonstrating good problem solving skills to protect output targets.
- IT Skills – Competent in the use of Machine data and control systems that record Material Movement, Losses and Quality. Must also be competent in the use of Microsoft Office; Excel and Word programmes.
Plus to have
- Experience as a Machine Operator.
- Experience of manufacturing in a Fast Moving Consumer Goods Company.
- Demonstrate strong mechanical aptitude to progress onto the Unilever Technical Operator Curriculum (Entry, Developing and Full level).
Interpersonal skills required
- High motivated
- Stress management
- Time management
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us