Top Level Summary:
This role is a great opportunity for someone who wants to actively lead a portfolio that requires fundamental changes in the value chain impacting the formulations of some the most well-known cleaning, laundry, and personal care brands in the world. This position is also a key contributor to helping deliver one of the most ambitious sustainability agendas for Unilever.
If you are someone who is passionate, who works well with others, and is a master at building partnerships, then come join the petrochemicals procurement team!
Unilever’s reputation is strongly linked to the new Compass Strategy. While our commitment to reducing the environmental footprint of our brands and products isn’t new, Unilever is unique in its ambition to embed the circular economy principles in both packaging and formulation on a global scale.
Our endeavour to develop and scale up sustainable technologies will require a significant transformation from both Unilever and our supply partners, so we invite you to be part of the industry transforming journey for LAB and the Petrochemicals team.
Central to the vision for the LAB/LAS petrochemical is our “Carbon Rainbow”, a ground-breaking pathway to “de-carbonise” our formulations. Non-renewable sources of carbon (known as black carbon) will be progressively replaced using carbon recapture (purple carbon), carbon from plants and biological sources (green carbon), carbon from marine algae (blue carbon), and carbon recovered from waste materials (grey carbon).
With the greatest proportion of Unilever’s carbon footprint for cleaning and laundry products coming from petrochemicals and LAB/LAS, this move is a critical step towards achieving our pledge of net zero emissions from products by 2039, and the “Carbon Rainbow” program under the Clean Futures Home Care strategy. LAB/LAS, and petrochemicals, are at the centre of these programs to move away from a virgin fossil fuel-based economy.
Unilever is the largest LAB/LAS buyer in the world with a spend of 800M€+ globally, and LAB/LAS will remain the workhorse surfactant for Home Care for the foreseeable future. As the market leader, Unilever is positioned to drive an industry transformation through our existing suppliers, new suppliers, and through new technology providers, including start-ups. The LAB/LAS portfolio is undergoing the biggest sustainable transformation in the history of the industry, which is a journey you can be a part of!
The focus of this role will be to support LAB/LAS in SEAA and North Asia, but a relatively small portfolio of Isethionates and Glycols is expected to also be part of the job scope. Isethionates and Gylcols are more closely connected to the BPC division and the “People and Planet Positive” agenda.
- Support the negotiation and sourcing strategy for LAB/LAS in with a focus on SEAA and North Asia covering an annual spend of 240M€, which should account for 80+% of the portfolio.
- Support a basket of other relevant petrochemicals materials, that are highly relevant to North Asia and SEAA, which should account for less than 20% of the portfolio.
- Conduct joint business development plans with key partners and manage ongoing relationships, ensuring competitiveness, service, and ability to support long term division growth needs.
- Develop best in class strategic sourcing and contracting strategies for commercial agreements.
- Provide market level strategy support and execution for LAB and the Home Care division including supply chain transformations and partnering the market teams.
- Support the petrochemicals team to drive a single global strategy, especially for items that helps executing the BPC People and Planet Positive transformation program.
- Create a multi-year NMCI delivery program funnel to optimize pricing through things optimizing E2E value chains, leveraging global benchmarking to identify areas of opportunity across markets, and by supporting formulation optimization.
- Provide a reliable and accurate price trend forecast that is clearly communicated to senior global and market stakeholders.
- Working closely with the petrochemical team supporting the Americas, EMEA, and South Asia markets effectively moving and acting as one global LAB/LAS team.
- Must have procurement knowledge, preferably in the chemicals area.
- Familiar with global logistics networks used to move bulk materials across the globe.
- Familiar with cost modeling and contracting strategies.
- Experience in managing supplier relationship management and leading negotiations.
- Adept at working in a global virtual network with teammates and suppliers based across the world.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to concisely communicate to senior level internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong analytics skills including a deep knowledge of Excel.
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us