About Our Tea Business
Unilever is proud of its Tea business, the biggest in the world, with leading purpose driven brands such as Lipton, PG tips and Pukka. Recently, Unilever decided to separate the Tea business to ensure it can fully achieve its potential.
Unilever will retain the Tea businesses in India and Indonesia, and the partnership interests in the ready-to-drink Tea joint ventures. The remaining balance of the Tea brands and geographies and all Tea estates, with generated revenues of €2 billion in 2019, is growing and profitable with proven potential both pre- and post-COVID-19. Unilever is currently reviewing several options for separation, including a de-merger, an initial public offering, a disposal or partnership models.
As a standalone entity, the Tea company will remain number one in the world, and be even better positioned to lead the industry, and take full advantage of the opportunities in the category. More focus and entrepreneurship will enable the creation of greater growth and value.
The current vision for the Tea company is to champion a tastier, healthier, more sustainable world of plant-based drinking. Purposeful thinking will be the core anchor of the business, its brands as well as its culture. More focus will enable simple and agile decision making, supported by an entrepreneurial mindset and driven by passion for our consumers.
As we move through this journey towards separation, we are seeking employees with a passion for exciting entrepreneurial experiences, who want to pursue unique career opportunities and have a desire to be an integral part in building the bright future of this plant-based company.
Our Tea Company Mission
Connected prosperity for everyone connected to our business and greater value for our consumers, our communities, our climate and our company.
- CONSUMER: We will become the universal beverage of choice: picking, creating and serving only the tastiest plant- based beverages that delight consumers and enrich their physical, emotional and social wellbeing.
- CLIMATE: We have a deep and enduring connection to the land and the communities in which we do business. We shall lead the way and create a net positive for climate by giving back to nature much more than nature is giving us.
- COMMUNITY: We will ensure growth for all by delivering more value per cup and share that growth amongst growers, blenders, customers, employees, and shareholders.
Our Tea Company Vision
- To serve the best cup of wellbeing, in the most delicious and sustainable way.
- To champion a healthier future for people and the planet through plants.
- To grow a world of wellbeing through the power of plants.
Our Tea Company Values
Sustainability, Transparency & Fairness, Promoting Diversity, Entrepreneurial, Simple Thinking, Innovative, Risk Taking, Ownership & Accountability, Fun Loving
The Tea Company in Asia Pacific (North Asia & SEAA) plays with a diverse portfolio of brands across multiple channels.
Partnering the Asia Pacific R&D team, our CTI Manager role provides an exciting opportunity for someone who is passionate about identifying opportunities to meet consumer needs in better ways that drive profitable growth.
If you have the vision and creativity to shape impactful consumer and sensory research, the ability to translate insights into opportunities for exceptional product experiences and compelling claims and stories, together with a strong bias for action – this is the role for you.
YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Working within multi-functional project teams to shape and execute consumer/sensory research, draw out key learnings, and make clear, actionable recommendations for project teams.
- Partnering seamlessly with CMI to create integrated consumer research plans aligned with business objectives and stakeholder risk appetite.
- Together with CMI, ensuring the consumer experience ambition is rooted in strong insight.
- Coupling consumer insight with deep knowledge of our brands’ purposes to ensure our product experiences are true to our brand DNA, purposes and visions.
- Guiding early stage product/pack development (for multi-channels), and being a champion for “holistic brand design“.
- Playing an active role in crafting consumer & customer compelling stories/claims to drive impactful in-market execution, and ensuring robust consumer and/or sensory evidence is in place to substantiate claims where relevant.
Business Strategy Development & Planning
Identifying fresh opportunities to meet consumer needs in better ways - driving profitable growth. Proactively contributing to the development of consumer led innovation strategy and roadmaps, and supporting R&D capability development programmes.
- Evaluating the competitive performance of our existing in-market products on an ongoing basis.
- Together with CMI, tracking consumer and market trends, and translating insights into impactful foresight.
- Sourcing and integrating consumer & sensory insights (quali & quant) from multiple sources. Mining and blending data for key insights, and translating these into business relevant and actionable growth opportunities for the future.
- Shaping proposals for new strategic consumer/sensory researches to identify innovation/renovation opportunities, securing buy-in for these with stakeholders, and delivering impactful and actionable insights (e.g. how consumers are preparing and consuming our products, category perceptions, drivers of compelling claims, sensory landscaping).
Consumer Voice & Brand Knowledge
- Shaping and championing the R&D Consumer Connect programme for the region to ensure the consumers’ voice lies at the heart of everything we do in R&D.
CTI Capability Development
- Keeping abreast of latest external developments (academic & MR industry) in consumer and sensory research approaches and to provide optimal research solutions for business partners. Experimenting with new disruptive techniques, sharing learnings across the Tea Co. CTI community, and contributing to the development of best practice guidelines for our CTI toolbox.
- Having full knowledge of professional codes of conduct (ethics, data protection laws etc.) and ensuring that all our research practices adhere strictly to these.
- Partnering the Asia Pacific R&D Director to define and align on key priorities for CTI. Ensuring CTI resources (time & cash) are focused behind priorities. Regularly reviewing priorities, and dynamically adapting plans if business needs change.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR (Skills, Experience, Mindset & Behaviours)
Minimum Professional Skills
Degree in human sciences (e.g. Psychology, Sociology), or equivalent professional qualification (e.g. MRS diploma).
Minimum Experience Requirements
- A minimum of 5yrs experience in an FMCG company consumer insights role (CSI, CTI, CMI) or Market Research agency.
- Fully operational in consumer and sensory research techniques (qual and quant) used for NPD.
- Experience within Food or Beverages categories is highly desirable.
- A passion for NPD (New Product Development), and understanding of science & technology.
- Curiosity coupled with analytical thinking to identify patterns across multiple sources of data, distil insights and translate these into business opportunities.
- Creative and entrepreneurial thinking to support the development of new ideas.
- The ability to bring consumer/sensory data and insights to life in a compelling way for a non-technical audience.
- Ability to communicate clearly, constructively challenge, and influence thinking within multi-disciplinary teams.
- The ability to build collaborative working relationships across functions and cultures, and with key partner agencies.
- Business acumen, and understanding of key functional roles beyond R&D (Marketing, CD, SC, Finance etc.)
- Able to work independently to shape and drive the CTI research programme within projects.
- The ability to work across several projects simultaneously, with agility.
- A proactive, resourceful mindset - and strong bias for action.
- Purpose & Service
- Consumer Love (& empathy)
- Business Acumen
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.
Connect with us
We’re always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.
Get in touch with Unilever PLC and specialist teams in our headquarters, or find contacts around the world.Contact us